Europe 2018: Croatia and its Islands

And now for the second week of our European adventure. And oh what a week it was!

We woke up in Zadar and had to get ready to get our bus down to Split. The day started bizarrely. The water in our apartment had been shut off and so we had to go to the house next door to use their shower. Luckily the lady who owned said house helped organise the rental apartments in the area and so she was fine with the situation. Whilst Mol showered Merja offered me a coffee and a croissant! She was telling me all about her family and her past travels! She wants to learn Turkish too which is a weird coincidence, I’ve never met anyone else so keen to learn it! She was so lovely! It was my turn to shower and before we left she gave us a handmade necklace each! How amazing! We got to the bus station, got on the bus and drove the hour or so to Split. We were overwhelmed when we arrived. It was very busy at the bus station because it was really near the harbour as well! We stopped for a smoothie and slice of cold pizza and then headed to our air bnb. My ankle was still really bad and so we got a taxi! The apartment was a 10 minute walk from the old town which was perfect! We got our bikinis on and went to the first beach we could find! Unfortunately this beach was Bacvice which is the busiest beach I have ever ever ever been to! It wasn’t enjoyable. We just about found a patch of sand to place our towels down. We went for a swim and on returning to our towels, we discovered they’d been the play area for small children and were covered in sand!! We didn’t stay too long. We resorted to a beer or two at the beach bar! We went home and got showered and changed and met up with Matheus and Mario, our two Brazilian friends we met in Budapest. They had also ended up in Split and so we had to reunite! We found each other in the old city and went to a nice harbour front restaurant to eat and drink lovely Croatian wine. One of my favourite things about Split is the hundreds of swifts that fly around the old city walks at dusk. It’s utterly mesmerising and made me so smiley! Anyway… After food we went to an amazing backpackers bar for more drinks and dancing. Matheus taught me some signature Brazilian dance moves! I was twirling around lots! We had such a fun time with lots of laughing and the alcohol numbed my bad ankle so that was a bonus. We ended up at a beach side club and finished the night paddling in the sea!

The next day we got up at quite a reasonable hour considering the amount of alcohol we’d had! We met the Brazilians for breakfast where they introduced us to açai fruit. We had it with a smoothie and it was just the detox we needed. After the refuel we all went to the harbour and got a ferry to Brač island. It’s about an hour crossing to the island so we just took in the view of the Split coast line. We got to Brač and found a taxi to take us to Bol on the opposite side of the island. We needed to get here to visit the islands most famous beach, golden horn beach. We walked through a forested area to reach the beach and there were so many chaffinches! I don’t think I’ve seen so many all at once! It was gorgeous. Unfortunately, the weather was mixed and we were caught in rain showers a few times. But rain couldn’t stop us! Me and Matheus were the first two to brave the cool waters of the Adriatic Sea. Mario joined us later and Molly opted for a paddle. The afternoon then developed into a stone skimming competition. I was by far the worst! Matheus could do it sitting down and Mario did one with about 10 skims!! It was time to head back to the ferry and so we bartered with a few taxi drivers to get a reasonable price and crossed over the island again. Then we got to Split by ferry and headed home. A quick shower and change and we met the boys again for more food and wine. This was the night me and Molly discovered our favourite restaurant in Split and probably the best pasta we have ever eaten! If you’re ever in Split go to BEPA, you won’t regret it! We tried a different Croatian wine and enjoyed chatting to the waiter about our recent defeat to Croatia in the World Cup! He found it quite funny! After food we went to Kastelet beach and relaxed with wine, chocolate and cheese. A much more civilised night for us! We sat around and all put our favourite music on. It was a lovely evening again.

The next day we had more açai for breakfast, this time in the form of a bowl topped with all sorts of toppings! Gorgeous! We wandered to Kasuni beach and set up for the day. This beach had huge boulders so we found comfy ones and lazed around. I snorkelled with Matheus and saw hundreds of sleeping fish! The boys had to leave early to catch a flight to Barcelona so we said our goodbyes. It was so lovely getting to know them so well. Maybe Brazil for us next year? Anyway… me and Mol didn’t stay much longer as we were pretty hot and fancied getting some food and then chilling out at the apartment. That evening we met up with our cousin Katy and her boyfriend Jack. We ate at a gorgeous wrap takeaway place and laughed a lot! Was so nice to see them both!!


Another early start for me and Mol, this time we were heading to Hvar island. This was probably my favourite island of the three we visited. The back streets were tiny and full of character and the harbour front was busy with people. We found a gorgeous place for lunch and sat and enjoyed the Hvar atmosphere. We then found a nice beach to relax for the day. Molly insisted we went on a jet ski and so in the afternoon before we left we managed to have a go. To get to them we had to take a water taxi. Our water taxi had a dog on board that was probably the coolest dog I’ve ever seen. He sat with his bum on the seat and two front paws on the side of the boat. None of the bumpy waves phased him. He was brill! One on the jet ski it took Mol (the driver) a little while to get used to compensating for the waves, but then we loved it! It was a gorgeous way to see the island too! We went back to Split in the evening and then met Katy and Jack for a proper night out. We danced, drank, laughed and ate pizza. Glorious!



The next day and the partying had gotten to us. We were in bed until early hours of the afternoon. We ventured in to the city for a hangover dinner and sat on a beach for an hour to try and fill our lungs with nice clean fresh air. When did we turn into such wimps? Still a lovely day with my favourite human though!

Up very early for an early ferry to Vis island. Walking to the ferry I spotted a Swift on the floor in distress and so I picked it up and checked him over. We couldn’t keep him with us but I gave him to the port security to look after. They seemed very happy to look after him which was reassuring. I named him Fabio. Anyway…On arrival at Vis we hopped in a quick taxi ride to get to Stiniva beach (Mamma Mia 2 was filmed here!!!). From the taxi we had a steep, slippy, rocky climb down to the beach. It was hilarious and hot, but the views were breath taking! We set up camp and had some food at the beach shack! We just spent the day swimming, cliff jumping and basking. The cove was formed by a fallen in cave and so the entrance from the sea is quite small. It was something from a magical story. We felt very lucky to be there. We headed back to Split in the evening and saw a gorgeous sunset on the ferry home. The had a take away pancake for tea and sat and people watched in the old square. Croatian days are my favourite.

Our last full day in Split and so we went to our favourite restaurant for breakfast and wandered around window shopping. It was a particularly warm day and so we felt pretty exhausted. In the afternoon we saw Katy and Jack again for a couple of beers before there flight home. It was a lovely day actually, nice and relaxed.


So we flew back yesterday and spent our time at the airport chatting about our travels and memories. It’s weird that I won’t be with Mol every day now… I’m away so much in the year that this two weeks has been so special. But now I’m home, my ankle is better, my cough is just about gone and I’m ready to work and prepare for a new adventure.

I can’t be still for too long! I think my family would start to worry!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s